Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Andrew F. Scott: Modules


Inspired by Santiago Calatrava's "Turning Torso" I decided to create an architectonic structure that incorporated modular design and a 90 degree twist. The work was created in Maya using the EWC_array MEL script.

While I liked the geometric quality of the low polygon version of the model. I added a mesh smooth modifier to the model.

As a final touch I went back and reworked the occlusion pass to increase it's contrast. this was done by removing the mia_sunsky light environment because it puts a dome over your scene that occludes all of your objects. By removing it and coloring your environment white you are able to increase the contrast and get a true occlusion rendering pass.

After applying mesh smooth attribute to the geometry the structure took on a more organic nature. I also created a series of ambient occlusion renderings of the model. By compositing them in photoshop using the layers palette I was able to manipulate the tonal quality and mood of the rendering.


Note how I was able to darken and lighten the interior of the model by manipulating the layer modes and opacity in photoshop.

I added a little blur to one of my reflection passes to soften the image. Always include an ambient occlusion render pass. It is the gift that keeps on giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment